Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14, 2008

So today I'm officially (legally) a Miller, by way of the Social Security Office. Feels great!! I only had to wait about 20 minutes to be called for my number and filled out one paper, showed the fella our marriage license, and that was that. My new card will be here by the end of the week. Then I went to the bank and had all of my info changed. We already have a joint account, so I went ahead and ordered a box of checks to use (sheesh, we never use checks anymore...) and that was done. Next comes the DMV......ugh.

I called Geico today to add myself to Jay's policy, since it was WAY cheaper than State Farm (go figure!) I called about six different companies for car insurance, and you would think that since I've been with State Farm for over ten years, they would have a great price for the two of us......not so. =) It was the most expensive one, along with (get this ---) Safe Auto. Not that I would go with Safe Auto, b/c something about them just doesnt seem right....state minimum coverage. Hope you don't hit a deer on a dark night.

Anyhoo, Geico won't let me do it - Jay has to do it. So stupid. I have all the policy numbers and info, and the last eight payments have come out of our JOINT account and still they have to hear it from him. One more thing to get done.

Gotta go to BB&B one day this week and return some duplicate gifts and some things that just flat out weren't on the registry and we'll never use them. That still gets me sometimes. Why create a registry? Think about that for awhile.

So I'm sure you can tell by now that we made it home, lol. What a travel that was. We were scheduled to fly out of JH at 1:30 Saturday afternoon. It was perfect until we got to the airport about 11am and then the snow started coming down - 2 inches in 2 hrs. The plane that was coming in to JH to get us got diverted to Salt Lake City b/c of the weather, and it was iffy as to whether or not they'd make it to Jackson. Of course, this was the ONLY plane coming in/out of JAC that day -- tiniest airport I've ever seen. Makes GSP look huge.

So every five minutes they announce over the loudspeaker (again, not necessary as we were all in one tiny room and could hear each other's whispers) that when they have an update on the flight they'd let us know. Finally around 4:00 they tell us the Salt Lake City flight was in the air on its way to us - those poor ppl had been on that plane for four hours, just sitting. They were quite pleasant when they finally got off of it. We boarded at 4:30 and left around 5:20 for Denver. Now, keep this in mind - our Denver flight (that Jay's uncle has been working on for us for the last four hours [he works for United]) LEAVES for Atlanta at 6:55. It's an hour-ish flight to Denver. I watched the clock the whole time (didnt even have time to enjoy the 1st-class upgrade his uncle got us) freaking out that we weren't going to make it. We were both so exhausted from the day of stop/go and hadn't eaten since 8am (we learned the hard way not to ever eat airport food, and I'm pretty sure I'll probably never eat Mexican food again anyway). The plane lands at 6:42.....taxis down a hundred miles to the gate and the stewardess is telling everyone to stay in their seats to let the ppl who have connections get out first. Thanks!! (Really - it was nice of her!) We stepped out of the plane at 6:51 and hauled ass through the terminal....had to catch the tram to the right concourse......RAN through 15 gates to get to the right one......they were expecting us but had already closed the doors. We ended up having to go to customer service b/c she didn't have us listed as on the plane, so we haul ass back to the middle of the airport, completely cut in front of eight ppl (I just did it - I'll apologize later - we HAVE to get on this plane or we're stuck in Denver for two days and we cannot afford to miss work). Finally get it all figured out (it's 7:14 now and they're still holding the plane) - race back to gate 35, give her our boarding passes and she has to escort us down to the plane (not sure why). Everyone claps when we finally get on (embarrassing) and turns out they've held that plane almost a half hour just for us (I'm sure his uncle had something to do with that). I was so relieved to be OUT of there and on the way home. It felt great to land in Atlanta and be that much closer.

On to the next part.....the Crowne Plaza shuttle is supposed to run every half hour at the shuttle area, blue zone. This is where we stand, waiting, for over an hour. I called them twice, they promise the shuttle is on its way....twice.

It never came.

So we just got a taxi for the 2-mile drive to the hotel to pick up the truck. I was ready to chew on somebody at the front desk but wasn't given the opportunity, lol - we just got the truck and left. All the food we'd taken from the reception was still in the truck from Saturday's drive down - we never ate it or even took it in with us Saturday night. Just kinda forgot about it. =)

We got some fast food dinner (we were STARVING) and headed for Greer. We walked in the door at 5am, showered, and crashed. What a day of traveling, but at least we weren't puking the whole time like the travel to JH. Never, ever, ever eat Mexican airport food. It's delicious, but it has a nasty aftertaste, lol.

So we are glad to be home, adjusting to a household with 3 (2 very-active, 1 very-lazy) dogs in it, neither of mine get along with his, and his is too stupid to know it. (But I love the big ol' dog - he just doesnt realize how big and cumbersome he is.) It's so great not having to make the 40-minute drive home at night anymore - it's nice to be with Jay more than just a couple hrs in the evenings.

Work has gone really well today - kids are cheerful, parents are home and I usually hate that but today it hasn't been too bad. I did miss the kids and I'm SO glad they were at the wedding!!

I need a new countdown now since I have no more wedding-week countdowns. How about....43 days til Thanksgiving?

No comments: