Friday, October 10, 2008

October 10, 2008

This week has just flown by.....hard to believe we're leaving for home tomorrow, but we both admitted this morning that we're ready to be home. Vacation is great but it's so nice to be back home where everything is familiar and yours again.

Last night's dinner at Norah's was good - it didn't look at all like I expected it to, but it was good food and we had a good time.

This morning we got up at 5:15 (after not falling asleep until midnight - bad choice lol) to get to Yellowstone early to see some animals moving around during the sunrise. We were on the road at 5:30 and precisely at 5:55 we were on the dirt road going into the Grand Teton Park. I was getting the camera loaded when Jay slammed on the brakes and I got the scare of my life - ten feet from my car window was this HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE elk with the biggest antlers I've ever seen. Jay was living it up and I was freaking out that it was going to ram the car b/c we'd woken it up. He just looked at us for a few minutes while we took a couple pictures and then walked away. His doe was on the other side of the road, and I tried to get a few pics of her, but it was too dark. After I calmed my nerves a little, I realized how cool that was and how freakin' huge those things are.

We drove on past the Grand Tetons and got into Yellowstone. They must have gotten a lot more snow than Jackson did yesterday, b/c it was still covering the ground and the roads were getting pretty icy. The temperature when we left was 24, but once in Yellowstone, it dropped down to 10 degrees. We went on for a few more miles, at 20mph, but we realized it was only getting worse, and there was supposed to be more snow today and into tomorrow.

It was a really hard decision to turn around but it was the right one. We were both disappointed but at least we aren't in a ditch right now. We started the drive back (I drove illegally in the rental car, b/c Jay really isn't feeling great today) and we pulled off on a few turnouts to look for animals. We were able to see a bunch of elk in Willow Flats and got some pretty decent pictures. I got to hear them "bugle" for the first time and it was really cool to hear. There were a couple of big ones down there with big horns, but none of them compared to the one from this morning.

We were almost back to the house when we saw a coyote running along the car in the field next to us....thought for a minute he was chasing us, but.....turns out he was chasing a mouse, lol. He lost, too, by the way. We got some great pictures of him.

We got a late breakfast and I ran into the grocery store to get Jay some multivitamins for his cold.....now we're back at the house and gonna take a nap.

More later.

No comments: