Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December 23, 2008

It's hard to believe Christmas is only 2 days away......I still just don't feel "Christmas-y." I'm very happy it's here (more so b/c I do not have to work for 5 whole days!) and I'm really excited to see Jay's family. I worked from 6p-11p last night doing some last minute cleaning and sprucing. I tried to finish shampooing/rinsing the carpet, but I think that old lady at the Rainbow store sold me the wrong shampoo. I TOLD her three times it was orange shampoo but she swore the green was the same stuff and she didn't have anything orange, so I bought green. The one section in the living room that I had left was shampooed/rinsed about 4 times and it's clearly a different shade than the rest of the carpet. It's still a little damp, but if it dries and still looks that way, I'm going back and the old lady and I are going to have a talk. :) That house is already crappy enough as it is; I don't want to have to deal with a living carpet in two completely different shades. On another note, I cleaned the master bedroom carpet with it and it looks fantastic! It's not the shampoo that's bad, it's just that I'm pretty sure it's not the same concoction that I started with and that's why the living room looks the way it does. It's very important to me that the house is spotless and clean. For the 3 yrs that Jay lived there before we met, he never once cleaned it and the ppl who lived there previously didn't do much cleaning, so I feel like I never got a fair chance to have a perfectly clean house like I'm so anal about. I'm stuck with stained carpet and stained bathtubs that can't/won't come clean, and there's nothing I can do about it except be embarassed when company comes over. I've worked so hard to clean it and when I turn around, it looks like it hasn't been touched. Anyway, I did the best I could. The bathrooms are scrubbed and smell nice, the bedrooms are vacuumed and clean, and the kitchen is swept/mopped/scrubbed. There's nothing else I can do. I love having company come and I really LOVE when his family is here, but the prep of getting a house ready for company gives me so much stress and makes me so overwhelmed that I get to the point where I'm ready to have a nervous breakdown. I couldn't stop cleaning things last night, even when I hadn't had dinner by 9:30pm, the puppies were yelling to be fed (I hadn't even cleaned the crib out yet), the older dogs were hungry and Stinky was freezing outside, the laundry hadn't even been started, etc......I just can't do it all. I can't imagine what life will be like if we have kids in that house. Sigh.

Hopefully luck will be on our side and we'll get that crap-trap sold by next summer and get the heck out of there.

I'm sitting at the kitchen table with Zack, watching SpongeBob and waiting for his dad to get back from the sudden "errands" he had to run this morning before leaving for Charleston. He's taking the kiddo (great for me!) but I am always the last to know anything here and who knows when they will leave. It could be after lunch for all I know.......I just get stuck with whatever they decide to do - I'm expected to just deal with it and that SUCKS. So far the morning is not too bad, but I hate not knowing what's going on. I'm such a detail-oriented person and I thrive on a schedule and consistency. When my schedule is thrown off, it takes effect over my entire attitude. I desperately need some time off. I'm glad I asked for Monday off as well, even though it's one less paid day for us and we badly need it.........I need my sanity more. I mentioned giving up my day off but Jay was adamant that I keep it - for the sake of my sanity, lol. I don't know yet if I'm getting off for New Year's Day. I don't need it off for anything personal, but she mentioned something about it being a paid day, and that's a moot point unless she's planning on giving me the day off. Not likely.

I meant to write over the weekend about the bargains I found at several grocery stores - I've been collecting coupons, something I rarely do but want to do more of, and I was able to stock up over the weekend on some things we use a lot of and things we will need this week (foodwise) while his family is here. At RiteAid, they had paper towels and laundry detergent on sale. We have been going through a TON of paper towels these last few weeks with the puppies litter box. Laundry detergent is always used - I do 2-3 loads of laundry every day, usually.

At Bloom, they had Spring brand water on sale - three 24-packs for $10. We go through a lot of bottled water, too - that's pretty much all I drink anymore, and Jay usually takes one or two in his lunch to work. They also had Kraft mac & cheese on sale, and that's one of his favorites. We are now the proud owners of about ten boxes of mac & cheese, lol. They also had turkey breast on sale, but I didn't get any b/c I didn't like the way it looked after it had been picked through - I wasn't able to get to the sale before the final days, so not much left of that.

Ingles had some great sales on soda - four 12-packs for under $10 - Jay goes through Mt. Dew like it's nobody's business, so I got some of that and one of Diet Coke (for me, lol). They also had good deals on frozen steam-veggies, which we eat a lot of, so I got about 10 of those.

There is a ghetto grocery store off N. Main in Greer called Quality Foods - not a place I would want to go into at night, but twice a year they have FANTASTIC sales, especially on their meats. I got about $40 worth of meats (ground chuck, steaks, pork chops, roasts, etc) that would have cost me about $100 in any other grocery store. I freeze them and they last us a long time.

So between all that and the deer meat we still have in the freezer, hopefully I will not have to go to the grocery store for at least a month. I dont hate grocery shopping but money is so tight it's always a burden to go b/c I don't know what to get that will last us......nothing lasts as long as it should.

I had to take a break there between paragraphs b/c kiddo just left with his dad for Charleston. They might be back tonight or they might drive back in the morning (would be GREAT for me b/c I'm leaving at noon tomorrow) but either way - my afternoon is kosher today. =)

No comments: