Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February 3, 2009

So as I sit here in the kitchen, my replacement nanny is being interviewed in the living room. Sweet!!

I'm trying to figure out this tax situation thing - the mom keeps telling me that I wont need a W2 or whatever b/c THEY paid my taxes, but dont they just pay SS, not my income tax? Doesn't the money that comes out of the income tax belong to me if it was overpaid? She says it belongs to them and if money comes out of the refund, then it's theirs, or if it was underpaid then it's their responsibility to pay it, but I dont understand that. If that is true, then all along I should have been getting the whole $425 and letting them pay SS on it and not just getting the net amount of $350. I dont trust these ppl all the time, that's why I'm a little sketchy. That and the fact that we really NEED this refund money and I dont understand why it would go to them, not me. It's still my money, isn't it? I need an accountant's perspective here.......anyone?

I will not have my interview with the preemie's family today b/c I have to work late....til like 8pm. I'm mad b/c I only got off at 5p yesterday and that does NOT make up the difference and I most certainly will not be paid extra for it. Grrrrr......13 days left here and not a day more. I did find out this morning that the grandma is coming to town ON the day I leave - hahahahahaha!! I avoided it! I knew it was time for her to come again, b/c she comes every three months, and I am SO happy to not have to deal with her, too. Now she's the new nanny's responsibility - best of luck, new nanny! There are so many things you get to learn how to deal with that I get to wave good-bye to and forget about forever.

I'm worried about this tax thing......it doesnt seem right. Hopefully I can get an answer for it soon so I can take my mind off it.

*****Edited to add: I won the tax argument!! She called her accountant and asked and they said any refund belongs to ME. They are only responsible for paying SS and FICA, and any income tax overpaid belongs to ME ME ME. I'm so relieved - I was afraid we werent going to get any money back and we need it.

Happy face! =)

3 comments:

Joe said...

You have a base salary and if they have been paying a percentage of taxes for you--it came from that gross salary amount and you just took home what was left after taxes (Social Security, Fica/medicare tax, etc). If they paid too much, you get a refund since it is YOUR money--they just gave part of it to the government for a while instead of directly to you. If they didn't pay enough, well, you have to come up with the bones. Some people prefer one method (paying taxes at the end of the year for gross earnings) instead of paying each month.

Unknown said...

You should get a W-2 since they paid your taxes. Sounds like someone needs to talk to her. Just like any other job, if you take taxes out, you get a W-2. I asked my friend Carrie who was an accounting major.

MillerFourWays said...

Thanks guys! In my head I knew what I was trying to tell her (just what you said, Joe) but she just wasn't listening or understanding. I KNEW that money was mine, so I'm glad she called her accountant.