Happy Lincoln's birthday to those of you who celebrate. I celebrate the fact that public schools don't take a day off....like they will on Monday for President's Day. So dumb. If school gets a holiday, I think EVERYONE should get the holiday. Close down all the business or pay ppl double-time if they're willing to work....why should some ppl get the break and the rest have to make up for it? I promise I'm really not in a grouchy mood today, just pondering.
This week has been boring as usual and since yesterday I am REALLY feeling the itch to get out. I cant afford to take an entire week's paycut but I can afford a day or so, if I can talk the RP into working next Friday on her own. If she's able to shadow as planned for most of the week, it won't be a problem. I'm also trying to talk her into taking the kiddo for the morning/day on Monday since he's out of school (for the aforementioned President's day....again, so dumb). That would be nice (for me). I'm just ready to GO.
Kiddo has his Valentine party at school today and absolutely demanded that I show up with the baby. I said maybe. I probably won't since I'm meeting Mom for lunch and this will most likely be the last time she gets to see Allie (::sniff sniff:: for Mom) and plus, I really dont want to go to the Vday party b/c he's always out of control when anyone shows up at his school. He likes to show off. His dad's home all day and he's not even going. I'm in the kind of mood to get on my soapbox right now about the fact that he's been home EVERY day this week ALL day long. WHY?!?!?!?!?!?
I want to publicly say that no matter how much money I may have one day (theoretically speaking....if I won the lottery or something hahahahaha) that I want to be the one to stay home with my kids. This little speech will raise some hairs I'm sure, and if you want to comment, that's fine, but understand (again) these are my opinions and you're certainly entitled to yours, and I'm not trying to bash any of you at all. That being said, I'm not necessarily "old-fashioned" when it comes to gender roles, but I have always always always wanted to stay home with my own kids. Maybe it's because I've half-raised other ppl's kids for years and I've seen how desperate some kids (ahem...these) are for their own parents' time and they rarely get it. I definitely validate getting your kids out once or twice a week to play with other kids, like a mother's morning out program or something, but to put your kids in full-time daycare (by full-time I mean ALL day long, not school - daycare) when you dont HAVE to is just beside me. Now, I'm not trying to offend (I promise!) those of you who do have your kids in daycare b/c you have to work to live, I'm just saying that when I want to be willing to live without a lot of things in exchange for the opportunity to be home with my kids. It's that important to me - cable tv and a huge car are not important to me. And I understand that our finances may not allow me to stay home full-time, but we're going to try our hardest. I want to be the one to teach them and see all their "firsts" it just grates me that there are kids in full-time daycare when they don't absolutely have to be. When I worked in public daycare, there were at least 8 kids (that I knew of) in my 3 year old class who had at least one non-working parent, yet they were there every day from 6:30am-6:30pm, simply b/c it was more convenient for the parent. I feel like some kids get shoved off into the care of others b/c parents don't want to deal with them and that's so unfair and unhealthy for the kids. Lately I see more and more that these kids (here) are desperate for time with their parents and they never get it. They spend 2 hrs a night with their parents - eating dinner (usually out) and bathtime and then it's off to bed and I'm here to get them up in the morning. On the weekends she's usually on call and he takes them both to his mom's house so he can go hunting/fishing w/o them. It's so sad. I understand sometimes you have things to do or work to get done and need someone to watch your kids so they stay safe, I get that. But the situation here is so odd - he's been home this entire week, doing nothing except twiddling in the garage or watching tv or taking naps. Why not spend that precious time with your kids? Or at least some of it? If your own time is more important (consistently) than time with your family, then maybe you shouldn't have even had a family. It's such irresponsibility. They should come first. I DO understand that there are families who HAVE to put their kids in someone else's care so they can pay the bills, so don't rip me for writing this. I'm not talking about you - this is meant for families like this one who could easily (EASILY) survive (and flourish) on just one of their incomes, but instead, it's more important to have 7 boats (seriously) and a lake house and downtown house and beach house and timeshares and whatnot. I just dont feel like any of that should take precedence over time with your family. These kids need parents - not just caregiving.
That being said, I *really* didn't mean to get into all that. I debated deleting it all, but I got emotional all of that so I'm leaving it. It's my feelings and that's what this blog is all about. =)
Onward........yesterday was a long day - Wednesdays here are always long. The housecleaners were here so I took Allie with me to get my TB test done (for new job) and then to the grocery store. She's always charms ppl everywhere we go. =) I took the groceries back to my house and unloaded them and then took her back home to nap. Got her up about 11:30 and we picked up Z from school.....went home and gave them lunch, then headed out to his speech therapy appointment. Wednesdays are hard b/c naptime is pushed back to at least 3:30, and once we got home I got them both in bed and dad decides to take Z for his haircut......so no nap. They got back about 5:15 and I stood in the living room for 15 minutes waiting to leave. The usual. =)
Hopefully today will be uneventful - Thursday are usually my most difficult today b/c I'm SO ready for Friday and so far I'm not able to push time forward to make it get here quicker, but as soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know.
Guess I'll sign it off for now..... =)
2 comments:
If any of your blogs deserved a response, this one did! Where is that blogging brother of yours? Make him post comments! LOL
My mom was always home for us, and that's the kind of mom I wanted to be. My former dh and I took in our kids as foster babies when I worked fulltime and he worked from home. We ended up adopting both of them. I was so happy when I finally got to quit my job! I got one year at home with them before school started, and then I got to homeschool our kids for K5 and 1st grade -- before dh up and walked out on us. well, I just had faith that God was going to do something, so I stayed home and continued to homeschool! And jobs came to me that I could do at home! And now, nearly 10 years later, I still work from home doing what I love on a very flexible schedule, and I've always been here for my kids. Even with all the trouble my teenage son has given me, he still talks to me about a lot of things, and I think that's just out of habit as a homeschooling family. Anyway, where there's a will, there's a way. If a single parent can be a stay-home mom, how much more possible is it for the double parent family to include a mom who can afford to stay home?
Post a Comment