Boy, I feel like when I do blog, it's been weeks since the last one, but it's only been a week. My days are busy and I'm tired (in a good way) when I get home, and I dont really think about blogging that much. Before I just did it b/c I was so bored and there was nothing else to do.
On Thursday morning, Jay and I went fishing with my cousin at a pond/lake near his house, since I dont have to be at work until 11:30 on Thursdays. I caught two bass!! Remarkable for me, since I usually catch squat when we go fishing. I was so excited! I wheedled Jay into letting me keep one and we put it in the fish tank at home. So far he's doing well, though he did eat my goldfish after a couple days. I know that seems obvious, but he ignored them for so long I thought he probably just wasn't interested......wrong. The food count total for Leonard (yes, Leonard) is as follows: 2 goldfish, 1 cricket, 3 worms and half a minnow that he apparantly regurgitated during the stress of being put into a tank. Nice.
I was really thinking a lot this week about how God has worked in my life with this job situation. It was truly an answer to prayer to quit a job I hated and not having anything to back it up, and the next week being offered my dream job. The timing was perfect, as God's timing always is. I was also thinking about how many things there are to appreciate about this job that just were not there in the nanny job. The RP is happy there and I'm so glad for her - I hope it always stays that way.
Things I do not miss about the nanny job:
- the ability to call in if I'm sick and not get the 3rd degree
- being off ON TIME, every time
- knowing exactly what my paycheck will be by the hours I worked (at the nanny job, on the rare occasions they let me off even an hour early, it was taken out of my check....yeah)
- I enjoy going in to work every day b/c I know what I'm doing is rewarding
- I get home most days around 4pm and I'm able to spend time with Jay before he goes to work
- I'm paid more per hour (even before taxes)
- I never have to work overtime, but if I did, I would be PAID for it
- I dont have to clean anyone else's laundry or do anyone else's dishes
- my boss is friendly and always says a hearty "thank you" at the end of the day or whenever we pass in the hallway
- there is a high support level between everyone there, if something is wrong or you need anything, there is always someone there to ask or someone to offer help, and if you dont "click" with a specific child, different arrangements can be made
-if you need to make a personal appt, it's never a big deal, and if you want to make up your hours missed with the child, you can, but you dont HAVE to
- I love having ADULTS to talk to during the day and not being alone so much
Things I do miss about the nanny job:
- to be honest, I really dont miss anything about it. The money was good (at first) but after awhile, the hours (50-55/wk) were just not worth the money. Plus, by the time they took the taxes out (incorrectly), I was paid less per hour than most Mexicans make. I have not once missed going at the crack of dawn or getting home at dark, I haven't missed the daily tantrums, the loneliness of not having any "grown-up" conversation all day. I do miss having Grandma show up every 3 months (on the dot) and tell me how to do my job like she suddenly an expert on the baby she's seen precisely three times in the last year and leaving giant messes she expects me to clean up.
I could go on and on but I dont need to. It's in the past and over and I LOVE my new job. I already feel at home and comfortable there. Not to say it hasn't had it's challenges - I have no doubt that N is going to give me a run for my money when we start doing programs next week, but in the end, he'll calm down and we'll get some things done. I'm so glad his mom is on board. It was a little rough with Z's mom this week - long story short, she's gotta learn to let go and trust us. She doesnt need to stay there all six hours to constantly check on him - he's fine and he's doing a GREAT job already and making big strides with all his programs.
I'm making crockpot spaghetti for dinner tonight - some for Jay to take with him to work and some for me to eat later, and hopefully some to take for lunch tomorrow, too. This is one of my favorite meals. Here is the recipe:
- 24 oz tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb hamburger meat, browned
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp oregano ----------Mix all ingredients in crockpot and simmer on low for 3 hours. Cook 16 oz of your favorite pasta noodles and ladle sauce on top - enjoy! This is one of our favorites.
No comments:
Post a Comment