So last night I'm trying to have an online conversation with someone I've known for 20+ years.....we used to be the best of friends. I've tried to keep in touch often since high school but after a point, I just got tired of trying. Conversation should not feel like you're trying to pull teeth - pull and pull and all you get is resistance. Seriously, this is how the conversation went:
me: hey!!
other person (OP): hi
me: how are you?
op: good u?
me: doing pretty well. havent talked in awhile. how are things with your family and bf?
op: fine
At some point I even asked if she had anything new or interesting to talk about and she said, "no, u?"
Guess I don't then.
And it went on like this for about 10 minutes. I continued to ask questions and get one-word answers. I asked if she knew about my sister, as I had sent out a text to all of my friends the night we got pathology back....she said yes she had gotten the text. Well, thanks for acknowledging the fact that yes, you DID get my heartbreaking news and not caring enough to even text me back. For years I have tried and tried to continue some sort of friendship with this person and it always seems like it's ME that's doing all of the initiating. I'm always the one to send a "hi" text or invite them to a friend's dinner (only to hear the latest excuse of why she can't make it.....none of which I ever believe) or ask how their family is doing or anything like that.............the ONLY time this person has initiated any kind of conversation with me is when they needed a job a few months ago. Not to mention I really put myself out to get that person a job at the place where I work - really went to bat for them, and in the end they never even called the company back after numerous phone calls/emails from the company. That was when I said I was done trying to have any kind of friendship, b/c obviously, I'm the only one who gives a crap. I always say that and then I think of something I want to tell her or wish her a good day or something - ANYTHING - to let her I know I still want her friendship. Then it goes like last night's convo did and I swear that I'm just going to quit b/c I'm tired of trying so hard and getting no response in return. I feel like I've given and given and they just don't care and it's so hurtful. Last night was it for me, so I'm done. You have your own life and you obviously don't give a rat's ass about mine. No more texts, no more calls, no more invites to things when you obviously don't want to hang out with us in the first place....I'm done. We had the best friendship for so long, but it's not my fault that it's ending. I'm tired of putting myself out there for you and I'm done.
Goodbye.
No comments:
Post a Comment