Tuesday, March 2, 2010

March 2, 2010

Today was SUCH a great day to end school early! I was hopeful on the way to work this morning that the snow would get heavy enough for Gville County to call off school early. Now I'm just hopeful that we will get a delay in the morning. That would be enough.....just a delay. I can't afford to miss an entire day, lol. The carpet measurers are coming at 830 tomorrow morning and I'd like to be here for that, even though Jay will be here, too. I have some questions of my own. :)

The past weekend was one of the longest of my entire life. As some of you know, we've been pulling up carpet in our entire house over the last week or so, readying each room for the new carpet that will be getting installed hopefully next week. Little by little, I've gotten 90% of the living room and the entire guest room done. Jay pulled up the carpet in the nursery. So far so good......until Friday night. A few months ago I had found a small (sorta) mold spot in the corner of the guest room where the outside wall and bathroom wall meet. I didn't think too much of it, just moved everything away and bleached it until it cleared up. I moved all of the furniture out of that room a week ago, and started working Friday night on getting that carpet completely cleared out. I got to that prior moldy corner and pulled the carpet back..........and about had a heart attack. A 3x3 ft area was COVERED in wet plywood and growing mold........with more trails of mold down the entire outer wall of the room. On top of THAT, as I pulled the old carpet back, a big chunk of wall caved in at the bottom, giving me a grand view of just why we had mold in there in the first place. The hall bath has been leaking for who-knows-how-long. We never knew b/c we never really used that bathroom, but since our master bath has had a hole in the tub for several months now and it hasn't gotten fixed, we've been using the hall bath regularly.

So I called Jay at work, crying (me, not him) and told him what I'd found. Keep in mind my mindset was on a King of Queens episode where Doug and Carrie have mold in their house and it cost $12,000 to fix. Haha...I was sure that was going to be us. Jay talked me through knocking a bigger hole in the wall (therefore causing my anxiety to rise even higher) and tell him exactly what I saw and what to do about it until he could get home the next morning. I put big floor fans on the worst of the mold and closed the door for the night. The next morning it looked a LOT better so I poured bleach all along the wall and that helped even more.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon -- Jay assessed the damage and we went to Home Depot, where we promptly spent $150 we didn't have in the first place on pipes, a new shower head, drywall, putty, and a hundred other things I don't know anything about. He worked for about 6 hours straight on fixing the leaky lower pipe, only to find out after we tested it that there was also a leak on the upper pipe. So more drywall got torn out and more hours were spent on re-piping the entire thing, trying to put in a new drain after we broke the first one, and I could go on and on about the things that went wrong with this project. I think I cried more tears of frustration this weekend than I ever have before.

So....we finally got it fixed and the new drywall is up. It's been puttied, sanded, puttied again, and sanded again, and it's almost ready to be painted. We're going to have to repaint probably the entire room b/c we dont have any more of the original beige paint that was in that room, and we're going to have to re-border it, since the border got destroyed on two walls when the drywall was pulled out. I cannot tell you how happy I am that this is over (hopefully). I will be nervous about it until the carpet guy gives the okay tomorrow that the new carpet can go in and we don't have to do anything to any of the floors. I just want this to be OVER with already - I'm tired of walking around on plywood and picking splinters out of my feet every night. The new carpet is going to look so good and it will do a lot for this house.

Keep your ears open tomorrow morning for my sigh of relief when the carpet measurer has come and gone........

No comments: